There are currently some unavoidable delays in sourcing some certificates from archive due to a backlog in requests, so please bear this in mind when placing your order.

English/Welsh Decree Absolute

Due to a change in circumstances, we no longer offer Divorce Decrees for England and Wales. However, it is still possible for you to acquire them on your own via the government. Details about how to do this follow.

This telephone number for the Central Family Court is 020 7421 8594. Please call this number with any queries you may have. If you call us, we won't be able to help you!


The cost of a copy of a decree absolute will depend on how much information you have about the divorce beforehand, for example, the name of the court where the divorce took place, the divorce case number etc. 

If you know the Issuing court and the case number                                                                      £10.00 only
If you know the issuing court but not the case number                                                            £45.00 per 10 year search
If you don't know either the issuing court or the case number                                                £65.00 per 10 year search

Process for ordering an English/Welsh Decree Absolute from the government

  • If you know the issuing court and the case number:

Send the court a letter with:

  • your name and address
  • the case number
  • a cheque or postal order payable to ‘HM Courts & Tribunals Service’

A copy of a decree absolute or final order costs £10.

  • If you know the issuing court but not the case number:

You can give the court the date you think the case happened. The court will search 5 years of records either side of that date.

If you can’t give them a date, the court will search the last 10 years of records.

It costs £45 for every 10 years of records searched.

  • If you don't know either the issuing court or the case number:

You can ask the Central Family Court to search for the decree absolute or final order. 

Click here to download the form D440. Fill it in and return it to the address below with the fee.

Central Family Court 
First Avenue House 
42 - 49 High Holborn 
Tel: 020 7421 8594

This will cost £65 for each 10 year period that’s searched. If you’re paying by cheque, make it payable to ‘HM Courts & Tribunals Service’.