+44 (0)330 088 1142 | sales@vitalcertificates.co.uk

Changing a Child's Name In the UK

If you're in the UK and wish to change your child's name as part of your family blending or adoption, there are several ways this can be completed. You may or may not require a Deed Poll, dependant on your circumstances and who holds parental rights (PR) for the child.

Changing a child's name who has been adopted

If you have adopted a child and changed their surname to match your family surname, the only documentation you need to legally change their name on any ID or records is their adoption certificate. The child will use this as their official ID for all other purposes, as this will supercede their original birth certificate.

If you wish to change their forename as well as their surname, this will require a Deed Poll and can not be done as part of the adoption process.

Changing a child's surname without a legal adoption

Some families decide to change any children's surnames when they blend two households together, so all of the step-siblings carry the same surname. This is perfectly acceptable without the need for a legal adoption, you can simply apply for a Deed Poll, provided all individuals who hold parental rights (PR) for each child consent to the change.

What is parental responsibility?

If a child is under 16 (or in some cases under 18) everyone who holds parental responsibility (PR) must give consent for a name change to happen. Establishing who has PR is important, as any changes made without the correct consent will not be legally binding and can be contested.

Those who have PR will need to sign the Deed Poll and be named in the supporting letter of consent which must be presented with a child's Deed Poll in order to be accepted. If for any reason someone who holds parental consent refuses to give their permission, you can apply for a Specific Issue Order from the court to make the change.

How do I know who has legal parental responsibility?

Legal PR is not always as straightforward or as obvious to determine as people imagine. In order to figure out who holds responsibility when it comes to changing a child's name, read our FAQs here.

Ready to make the change?

Click below to complete our short form and get your child's new name on it's way to you. You'll receive a professionally bound and sealed Deed Poll which we guarantee will accepted by all government departments, GPs, schools and other UK-based companies.

Who will accept my deed poll?

We guarantee 100% acceptance for any Deed Poll issued by Vital Certificates, provided it's been completed and witnessed correctly once you receive it. This includes the DVLA, insurers, HM Passport Office, employers, utility companies, banks, education institutions and anywhere else you need to update your details. We provide an easy-to-follow guide with every Deed Poll order to help you complete the document correctly and if you still need support, our team is always here to help.